Become a member and download the pattern and instructions for this perfect burrow friendly dog bed today! My dog Enzo is part dachshund, so he is quite the burrower. Some people in the studio like referring to him as our resident burrito dog! He’s always diving into a pile of blankets and wrapping himself up so you can barely see his little face popping out. This adorable habit led to the inspiration for making a DIY burrow dog bed. Ever since sewing this up he has barely left his new bed!
- Sewing Machine
- Sewing Pins
- Hand Sewing Needle
- Clear Tape
- 3/4 yard Faux Shearling Fur
- 2 yards Medium Weight Canvas Fabric
- 2 yards 16 oz. Extra Thick Poly Batting
- Matching Thread
- 18″ Zipper
- Permanent Marker
- Gather the tools and materials listed above. Prewash your canvas fabric (not the faux fur) to prevent later shrinkage when washing
- Print 3 copies of the template at the bottom of the post, one for each piece of the pattern. Following the diagram, cut out and assemble the pattern with tape.
Once you tape together the DIY burrow dog bed template, find guidance for cutting your fabric in the printable instructions below! Then follow along and use the photo tutorial for visual reference.
This project is a bit more advanced, so we recommend that more seasoned seamstresses take on this DIY. It can also be a welcomed challenge for anyone wanting to explore their sewing machine’s potential! Head to your local fabric store or browse online to find a fabric that matches your dog’s personality. We chose the Kaufman Sevenberry Canvas Cotton. We added a zipper to the side of our homemade dog bed so that we could easily remove the cover to throw it in the wash at any time. For tips on how to sew a zipper into the fabric, you can watch our instructional video on how to sew a basic zipper pillow.